Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Racism

I was raised as a very open minded person, no one was ever judged by the color of their skin, religous preference, or physical limitations. I have kept this outlook through my life with little alteration. I have recemtly, however gotten to see racism first hand , and the culprits were all no more then five years old!!! I was floored, both times to hear about these incidents, but was not surprised to se that racism went in many directions. (no names are going to be mantioned in this retelling)
Firstly I was approached by a parent to inform me that their child was quite upset. Their child had been told that the color of their skin should be white(not the beautiful bronze brown that it happened to be) The mother who is caucasion, was devestated, her child wanted to change the color of their skin so they could be as pretty as mommy.......( how utterley sad!)

Next a parent( a different one mind you!) told me that a neighbours child told her daughter that they could not play together, because they weren't allowed to play with no white kids!

What is happening out there?
Who teaches their children these things?
Do people not know that our role as a parent is to teach our children respect and love, not hatred and bigotry?
I spend all day trying to drill these ideas into developing young, minds.
No racial jokes are funny!
Correct your child if they use an innapropriate term! Never allow things like this to go without response.
I hope that everyone will take a moment and reflect on a moment you have seen that never should have happened, and what you can do to make sure not to contribute to such a horrible thing as racism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home