Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I have had a hard time trying to decide what to do when it comes to the upcoming election. For those of you who know me, elections and I do not mix......or so I thought. Up untill the last election I had never bothered to vote. My theory was no matter who gets in .............someone will complain to me about it, often even if the person they wanted to get in did!
So for years I turned a deaf ear to the political mumbo jumbo.
But last year I started to wake up, yes wake up. I'm not sure how it happened but I realized that I was simply ignorant to how this all affected me as a Canadian, as a mother, as an employee, as a person.....
I am supremely glad I woke up when I did because this new election is going to impact me greatly. The stabalization grant, that increases my wage by 2 whole dollars an hour, will be gone in March. If that is gone many child care workers will barely make more than minimum wage. So now the question is who to vote for. Well the Conservatives are not friends to the Early Childhood Educator, they want to increase available spaces by providing more spaces, this helps daycare owners, and government run centres, but does nothing for the worker who will have more children to care for. NDP wants to make childcare available to everyone for 5 dollars a day, this is not a bad idea, but I'm not sure how realistic. I'm still not sure where the Liberals stand on childcare, because they are talking about money, but hemming and hawwing over who is going to get it.

Here is my advice.............Get out and Vote!!!
Take your own choice and help to make it happen.
Besides if you don't vote, you can't complain right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy Solomon said...

Hi Jen,

I'm not sure if you know this, but Katherine is currently working at the Canadian Childcare Federation (a national non-profit organiztion whose focus is excellence in early learning and child care).

She has recently updated their homepage to include links to what each of the major parties have to say about childcare.

Go take a look at www.cccf-fcsge.ca, and look in blue box at the top of the screen. The links for each party will go directy to that party's policy on childcare.

Hope this helps you in making an informed decision!

Jeremy

January 19, 2006  
Blogger Jen said...

How did she get involved with that organization? I would like to find a good child centered organization down here to help out.

January 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home